Thursday, June 6, 2013

How I Made 3 litres of Winter Soup for under $5

My Mini Kitchen Garden
Colds. They are annoying.

Home sick today and thought I had better get some cooking done to get ahead in case its one of 'those' winters. I thought I would get my appliances working for me and make some soups for the freezer.

I think this one is my favourite - it was super cheap!

While shopping at Aldi last night I noticed Soup Packs of veggies for just $1.99. The pack contained two carrots, one swede, one parsnip, one potato, and two sticks of celery. bargain.

I chopped all this up and added;
- 1/2 cup of red lentils
- 3 teaspoons of crushed garlic
- A sprinkle of sea salt
- 1.5L of chicken stock (you might need more to cover the veggies)
- Some leftover BBQ chicken I had in the fridge
- A handful of chopped basil and oregano from my mini kitchen garden.

5-6 hours on LOW or 2-3 on HIGH in the slow cooker. Way. too. easy.

Use GF stock and its a GF soup. Vege stock and minus the chicken and you have a vegetarian/vegan option. Everyone wins! The principle for the slow cooker is the same. If you have one and are scared to use it, give this a go. You will not regret it.

Someone who is much much better at cooking than I am, and whose recipes are somewhat more accurate, check out my beautiful friend Jessica's blog home.

3 comments:

  1. I don't think I've ever (knowingly) eaten a swede before! What do they taste like? At any rate, sounds good :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think they turn orange when you cook them... it was a little hard to tell the vegies apart actually... best I can give you is slightly stronger and bitey version of potato... hmmm does that help?!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. thanks for the shout out G! I have not updated my blog for ages...it's a full time job for me!

    ReplyDelete